Become a part of Arena Stage by ushering or volunteering. Our success depends on you!
Arena Stage welcomes volunteers in many departments throughout the year. The following is a selection of opportunities available.
Arena Stage’s volunteer ushers make up the largest part of the theater’s staff and, after the actors, are the staff members most visible to the public. You’re often the first face a patron sees when attending a play at Arena Stage. You’re responsible for the comfort, safety and overall experience of up to 650 people each time you’re here. As an Arena Stage usher, each of you contributes personally to Arena Stage’s professional reputation by making every patron feel welcome and by doing all you can to make their time with us a pleasant and memorable one. There are over 2,000 members of Arena Stage’s ushering staff.
The Casting Office seeks a volunteer to assist in digitizing the casting office. This is a great opportunity for those looking for experience in casting and familiarity with the DC Theatre Community.
Duties May Include:
- Scanning headshots/resumes
- Organizing actor files
Hours are fixed on an individual basis, depending on the availability of the volunteer and the needs of the department.
Volunteers must be able to work during business hours, which are
Monday-Friday 9:30 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.
The Literary Department seeks a literary volunteer. This is a great opportunity for those interested in gaining professional experience in the field of literary management.
Duties May Include:
- Assisting the production dramaturg with research for the productions at Arena Stage and compiling research packets for the cast and creative team
- Reviewing scripts and write script reports
- Cataloging books for the Molly Smith Study
- Transcribing audio interviews with artists
- Supporting the literary office with administrative duties as needed, including playwright correspondence and copying and filing scripts
- Writing articles for Sub/Text: Your Virtual Dramaturg
- Assisting the literary manager and Allen Lee Hughes fellow with the coordination of audience enrichment programs, including Theater 101, panel discussions series and events surround the American Giants Festival
Hours will be fixed on an individual basis, depending on the availability of the volunteer and the needs of the department.
Volunteers receive complimentary tickets to Arena Stage shows (determined by the number of hours worked), invitations to special staff and audience enrichment events and an invitation to a picnic at the end of the season.
If you are interested in one of the administrative volunteering positions listed, please call Jasmine Jackson,
Human Resources Associate at
202-600-9066 x4008 or e-mail email@example.com.